Customer log in
Big Data comes to music and entertainment
Music ID is a growing repository of historical and current sales data spanning 60 years from over 30 countries. Billboard, Official Chart Company, Gfk Entertainment and many more reporting agencies in Europe, Canada, Japan, Australia and elsewhere provide the data.
and opens new avenues of research.
This data is presented in highly interactive, feature-rich tables and graphs where for the first time faculty and students can derive an amazing amount of information about their research questions and the business of music around the world.
A wealth of Case Studies show faculty and students how music sales data can be applied in Music, Performance, Entertainment Industry, Business Studies, Film & Media Studies, Cultural Studies, Gender Studies, Political Science, Humanities, History and Statistics. New insights into the cultural context when the Rolling Stones first toured the U.S. in 1964? How does a classical artist cross over to pop?
Quantify the cultural impact of music.
Data for your insights. See what's invisible to others. Aristotle, "The soul never thinks without an image".
What unique need does Music ID address?
See the whole picture in new ways. Data is brought together in a way that makes it uniquely useful.
- Comprehensive authenticated data sets from inception in the 1950s to the present.
- Free Internet lists do not offer the completeness, authority, analytical platform and reliable data of Music ID.
- See what could not be ‘seen’ before across 30 countries. The data reveals patterns which were not visible before.
What does Music ID do that customers cannot do for themselves?
- Trusted, complete and authenticated licensed data sets. Get beyond individual weekly snapshots on the free Internet.
- Flexible platform for analysis across different artists and countries covering all genres of music.
- Overcome the 'data smog' of the free Internet (Time Magazine). Gather insights across all genres of music in 30 countries.
- Keep at the forefront of research with authentic ‘big data’ revealing new insights.
"It will make music librarians wonder how we got by without it until now"
‘Note’s review, Music Library Association
"Music ID’s content is tremendously valuable; the charts from which it derives its data go back, in some cases, more than 60 years... the product already fills such a significant need for music researchers."
The Charleston Advisor
"Music ID’s...set(s) itself apart from other online music resources by using analytical tools to gauge the impact of classical, jazz, and pop music all over the world."
"Music ID is an indispensable tool in examining chart data for the sales of sound recordings in countries around the world."
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
In short, the database should be of significant value to any institution with courses of study in pop music and history of contemporary Western music.
University of Hong Kong
"…provides us with a statistical meta-narrative of popular culture…"
University of Northampton
"We set up a trial and have been very pleased with it and its application across the curriculum, not just in music…"
Bowling Green State University
Music ID informs research
Data displayed in Sales Rankings
- View Sales Rankings in relative or absolute relationships
- View metadata for each graph point
- Add data to a custom graph
- Zoom into details of Sales Rankings
- Sort data by Artist, Writer, Label; First Charted Date; Most Recent Position; Peak Position; Weeks in Chart; Chart Type; Country
Advanced search and scholarly integration
- Search for Artists, Albums, Singles or by date
- Access relevant articles in major academic publications with embedded links
- Listen to audio samples
- Filter by country and data type
- Superimpose any artist’s results on any other, around the world
- Export spreadsheets of data and images of graphs
- Store work in Research Folders
Make the connections
Provides more context for any artist or group you study, through
- Related artists found by semantic indexing