Nordic Institute of Asian Studies
DESCRIPTION: NIAS - Nordic Institute of Asian Studies is a Nordic research and service institute with an international mandate and a focus on social, cultural, political, economic and business transformations in modern Asia in their historical contexts. NIAS Press is an academic publisher that publishes Nordic and international research and disseminates research-based knowledge. This links Nordic research to an international audience.
- Part of the University of Copenhagen, NIAS is a globally focused publisher with the rigorous academic standards expected of a university press, but with the speed and decisiveness often found among commercial publishers.
- Political change (issues of democracy, governance, leadership, political transition, political culture, Asian values, etc.)
- Gender and power (issues including familial/household power relations, inheritance and property relations, evolving female leadership patterns, political dynasties, etc.)
- Development, political and socio-economic change (usually via local studies exploring different development strategies, effects of globalization, etc.)
- Identity formation (the role of religion vs. ethnicity, imagined communities, nationalism and nation-building, geographic commonalities vs. historic divisions)
- Asian histories (connecting features of today’s Asia to historic roots, sometimes overturning existing conceptions)
- Environmental change (human interaction with and impact on nature, institutional responses to environmental change)
Innovative research within the social sciences and history. Most books focus on ‘Asia in transformation.’
Monographs in preference to edited volumes
SPECIAL FEATURES: NIAS Press, a scholarly press specializing in publishing innovative research on modern Asia. Although focused mainly on the social sciences and history, particularly research dealing with contemporary Southeast Asia and East Asia, the Press is open to relevant and focused, quality publishing in many other fields of Asian studies.
KEY AUTHORS: Many established scholars have published with NIAS including Stefan Eklof, Sylva Frisk, Monica Lindberg Falk, Trudy Jacobsen, Joakim Öjendal & Mona Lilja, and NIAS publishes a large number of young post-docs.
BENEFIT TO THE USER: All NIAS Press books undergo thorough peer review and receive thorough and acclaimed editorial treatment. As a university-based press, NIAS can take on projects commercial publishers might shun, without compromising on the quality of the end product in terms of editorial input and production quality.
EVALUATION OF THE MARKET:
AUDIENCE & TAREGT MARKETS: Undergraduate and postgraduate students, Faculty and scholarly research
AUDIENCE: Senior undergraduate teaching, postgraduate research.
PRIMARY MARKET: Academic libraries, Business Schools
SECONDARY MARKET: Government libraries and Research institutes.